Introducing… Project 1. The first of three analytical consortium projects here at TIES Living Lab, which is managed by Doug Forbes of Whole Life Consultants Ltd.
Accelar Limited is the environment lead on the analytical consortium. They focus on four themes within TIES Living Lab, those being carbon, circular economy, biodiversity and climate resilience. Accelar has been working with Living Lab partners to understand what data they already collect on each environmental theme and if it’s possible to create performance benchmarks from that data. They’ve also been developing a set of agreed metrics going forward to make benchmarking easier in the future and feed into Project 1 – Metrics, Benchmarking & Repository and Project 8 – Intelligent Infrastructure Control Centre. Accelar has been analysing the TIES Living Lab data that we have to understand drivers of performance. They’re also looking to see how partners could collect data better in the future to enable more effective benchmarking. To achieve these objectives, Accelar facilitates a community of practice for each of the environmental themes, engaging with relevant subject matter experts from Network Rail, Transport for London, National Highways, HS2 and East West Rail. Accelar is working with our colleagues across the analytical consortium to understand and promote the smarter use of data and benchmarking across the life cycle of constriction projects, addressing productivity, decarbonisation, environmental and social value improvements alongside the traditional aspects (e.g. cost, quality and schedule).
- Gather, analyse and prepare performance benchmarks for the demonstrator asset types (both current data for new demonstrator assets and historical data for similar asset types)
- Gather contextual information to enable process analysis within Project 3
- Develop a repository to store benchmarking data and enable/support partners to use it to inform decision making
- Prepare a generic framework for creating benchmarks (including metrics and protocols) of data for specified asset classes within generic projects
- Development of performance benchmarks to allow causes of differences in performance to be determined in:
- Carbon and environmental
- Whole life social value
- Creation of a repository which allows our partners to be better informed about the performance of their projects, including showing potential for live links to the Intelligent Infrastructure Control Centre (IICC)
- Preparation for protocols for data collection and future benchmarking